NEW Cell Phone Policy
PVCA STUDENT CELL PHONE POLICY
- Elementary students are not permitted to have cell phones on school property. If found, the phone will be confiscated and the parent or guardian will need to pick it up from the school office.
- Middle and High School students will be required to “power down” their cell phones upon entering the building at the beginning of the school day. Students who arrive early for before-school care will be required to “power down” when dismissed to homeroom.
- Middle School students must keep cell phones in their lockers during school hours. Middle School students are not permitted to have iPods, iPads, tablets, etc. on school property, unless a classroom teacher requests these items be brought into school for educational purposes.
- High School students may carry their cell phones on their person, but phones must remain “off” during class and in school hallways. High School students will be permitted to use cell phones during lunch.
- High School students may be permitted to use their cell phones in class for educational purposes only, as directed by a teacher. Upon the conclusion of that class, students will be required to “power down.”
- Seniors with “Senior Privileges” will be permitted to use their cell phone while in the Senior Lounge. Upon exiting the Senior Lounge, they will be expected to “power down.”
- If there is an emergency and a student needs to contact their parent or guardian, the student will be sent to the office to receive permission to use his/her cell phone for that situation.
- If a cell phone is seen and is “on” without permission, it will be confiscated and brought to the school office. 1st offense – the student will be permitted to retrieve the phone at the end of the school day. 2nd offense – the student’s parent or guardian will be required to pick up the phone from the school office. 3rd offense – the student’s parent or guardian will be required to pick up the phone from the school office and pay a $15.00 fine. The student will not be permitted to have a cell phone on school property for the remainder of the school year.
- No video or audio recording is permitted, especially without the consent of the individuals. If this policy is violated, the phone will be confiscated and held until a parent conference with the principal occurs and further discipline determined.
- The misuse of cell phones, cheating with, or any illegal activities by a student with his or her phone will result in appropriate disciplinary action according to the nature of the offense. These may include, but are not limited to, confiscation, grade penalty, suspension, and/or police notification.
- The administration recommends that students keep their cell phones in their secured lockers and not in unattended bags or purses since the school will not be held responsible for missing or stolen cell phones.
It is strongly recommended that parents do not contact their child via cell phones during the school day. Parents are to call the school office and convey a message, which will be given to the student.